Sunday, January 29, 2012

One Month Down!!

Good Morning!!

We are now one month into the New Year, my friend, and I'd say we are doing splendidly!

I think this past week was really good for me, as I've come to several conclusions:
  1. The scale is SO dumb.  I think that we are so conditioned to rely on it to tell us we are progressing that we lose sight of how we're really doing.  Last week the scale was up (as it was again this morning), and I felt like I had done crappy because of it.  This week, I resisted the urge to step on it countless times, and secretly hoped it would magically be a really, really low number this morning since I hadn't looked all week.  NOPE. The funny thing is, I don't really care what it said this week.  Last night, I noticed just how firm my thighs/quads are getting, and I was super proud!  I thought back on all of the hard work I did this week in the gym and knew that I had really given it a lot of effort this week.  So from now on, I will be weighing in weekly, but I'm not really focused on this number anymore.  Who care's what it says??  I know that I am doing everything right and I just have to be consistent in my healthy ways.  It's more about becoming fit and healthy than having a number that is acceptable to society.  It's not like weight watchers, where if you gain 4 pounds in water weight from working out, you are shamed into thinking you must have gone over your points and gained 4 whole pounds from calories.  So that being said, Screw You Scale, I'm doing a fabulous job.
  2. I realized that I really like going to gym.  I think I enjoy having a "hobby," since I really haven't had many hobbies since starting medical school.  It feels good to have something normal again that I can just "go do" if I'm bored.  I really hate it that my life consists mostly of school and then coming home to watch TV and then going to bed.  I enjoy watching recorded shows, but I really do not like channel surfing or wasting hours on the internet--it puts me in a terrible and frustrated mood (and I just realized this recently....).  I feel better (mood-wise) if I am doing something constructive, and I think that is why I love going to the gym--because it prevents me from coming home-eating-sitting on the couch all night-& going to bed. I really don't like being sedentary.  I get bored with it pretty quickly and then my sour mood starts! So here's to having an actual hobby!
________________________________________________________












I actually worked really hard to meet my goals this week and am proud that I accomplished these things.  They mean more than that number on the scale any day.












I feel good about my progress this week, even if the numbers aren't much different!
____________________________________________________
I'll update with some goals for the week later!

1 comment: