Sunday, January 1, 2012

DAY ONE

Happy New Years!!

I just wanted to put out a few things (I'm not big on resolutions really...) to look forward to in 2012:
1.  This is going to be a strange year for me.  The first half will be easy enough, but then, overnight, I will become a doctor, and with that title will come immense responsibility for people's lives.  I think I am ready for this, but it is still scary though to think about.
2.  In preparation for July 1 (first day of residency) and the physical toll it takes on many, I want to get the in the best possible shape I can.  I think this will help battle fatigue.  I plan to focus on seeing how strong I can get.  I have lots of stuff to do resistance/strength training here at home, but I plan on joining the little gym here if I need some real weight machines.  I want to continue strength training throughout residency as well, but I don't think I can commit to saying I will do the same number of workouts once July gets here.
3.  I have a lot of free time for the next 6 months, so I want to use it to better myself.  I plan on embracing "my true self" as much as possible.  For example, I have recently started The Curly Girl Method and am currently embracing my curly hair (Did you know I had curly hair??  I didn't--I always thought it was just sort of wavy, but after about 2 weeks of doing this, I can clearly see curls!).  I'm also trying to embrace my fair skin.....this is harder than I thought it would be.  I have been fake tanning since high school!  (I'm not sure how successful I will be at this one.  We are going to Orlando in March and I plan on being ready for a bathing suit, but I'm not sure I can do it without having a little bit of color!).  I've just started learning Spanish (Santa brought me Rosetta Stone) and I love it!  I'm so excited to have this additional bit of knowledge in my tool belt! And of course, as mentioned before, I want to be in the best physical shape I can be going into residency.  I also plan into looking into Zumba here in town, although I really hate the beginning of the year when gym's are so crowded!


So there ya have it, my things to look forward to in 2012.  Most of them sort of focus on the first 6 months, but I know I have lots to look forward to in the second half of the year as well.  My goal there is to just make it through those first six months of residency!!

Later today I will be posting my starting stats and workout sheet.  I'm going to try to start back with the good eating today, but James is such a Monday-Start type of person, I'm not sure if he will comply, haha.  We are doing "induction" for the next two weeks, which is basically carb/sugar detox on Atkins, and believe me, it feels like detox.  I am nervous about the workout schedule, as you aren't supposed to do anything very high intensity while on induction.  I am going to give myself the option of just power walking if I have "induction flu" (i.e. feel like crap).  Last time I only felt bad for about 48 hours, but poor James felt crappy for nearly a week and a half.

Today:  I'm going to do some cooking for the week.  (I'm in love with planning out your weekly menu and then just shopping from that list--saved me SO much money!).  Will post pics later of my creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment